Beginning A New You: The Master Cleanse
Pamela Gray-Ennis, contributing editor
Honoring the body with a cleansing detoxification is an ancient practice that rejuvenates and
revitalizes the whole being. The Master Cleanse was developed in the 1940s by Stanley Burroughs. The cleanse consist of drinking between 6 and 12 glasses of a mixture made from lemons, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and pure filtered water for 10 days. In addition to drinking the mixture you are required to drink an herbal laxative tea and salt water flush. It has been used to treat health ailments, detoxify the body and lose weight. Beyonce Knowles lost more than 20 pounds on the Master Cleanse Diet when preparing for the starring role in "Dreamgirls." The effectiveness of this diet has been researched in the medical arena for years; experts agree that weight loss will occur. The Master Cleanse is also a powerful type of fasting that has been used for thousands of years to rid the body of toxins and renew the mind, body and spirit. Yes, weight loss will occur but the ultimate reward is the mental clarity, vibrate energy and overall feeling of well being.
- Flush your system using the salt water flush, combining the filtered water and sea salt, each morning. This flush will cleanse your digestive system and colon walls. You will generally have a bowel movement within an hour of drinking the flush.
- Make a fresh glass of lemonade mixture each time you drink. For the diet to work properly, the lemonade mixture cannot be pre-made. You must also use only freshly squeezed lemon juice. Lemon juice that has been squeezed the night before or a lemon juice substitute will not work. The freshly squeezed lemon juice aides in the cleansing by making the body more alkaline.
- Use only grade B maple syrup in the mixture. Grade B maple syrup is an unprocessed sugar that contains all of the calories, vitamins and nutrients needed during this cleanse. Grade B maple syrup also contain many important minerals, such as calcium, zinc, magnesium and manganese.
- Drink an herbal laxative tea every evening. A common mistake that’s often made on this diet is choosing between the salt water flush and the herbal laxative tea. Both are required for the diet to be successful. During the Master Cleanse your body is constantly eliminating toxins, and it is necessary to eliminate by having frequent bowel movements. The morning salt water flush and evening herbal laxative tea will keep the toxins from mobilizing in your system.
Things You'll Need
- Salt water flush:
- 1 quart of pure filtered water (room temperature water)
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 squeezed organic lemon (per 8 oz. glass)
- 2 tbsp. organic grade B maple syrup (per 8 oz. glass)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (per 8 oz. glass)
- Pure filtered water
- Herbal laxative tea
Tips ● Plan ahead. Outline activities that will keep you occupied during this process.
- Read a book or watch a nice relaxing movie. Eliminate stress.
- Speak with your doctor before starting any long-term diet.
- If you are diabetic you can substitute maple syrup with agave nectar.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified health care professional. You are encouraged to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in relationship with a trusted health professional.